Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Ever, Ever After

There are so many aspects of our upcoming wedding that are important to me. Photography, videography, the ceremony, invitations, programs, etc. Just about the only thing that I completely left in John's hands was the cake. I am not a huge fan of cake - it all tastes the same to me. Picking out our cake was something John could actually get excited about because he was able to taste all the different cake flavors and their prospective fillings. He chose marble cake with amaretto filling for our bottom tier (the bigger one) and almond cake with raspberry filling for our top tier. Moving on...

Music is really important to me in my non-wedding planning life. My mom always had the radio on or a CD playing when I was growing up. One of my favorite childhood memories is of the day my mom was standing on the kitchen table singing into a wooden soup ladle when the neighbors spotted her - and stopped dead in their tracks. She brought me to my first concert when I was five years old and that is when my love for live music was born. I love all different genres of music, but my heart belongs to Country music. It has been really difficult for me to choose various songs for different parts of our day - I could leave most of them up to the DJ but it makes me really sad that he could potentially pick songs that mean nothing to me. That's the biggest thing - songs have so much meaning to me. I don't want my wedding to be generic wedding songs, but at the same time I don't want to play songs that are so obscure my guests don't recognize them. I need to choose songs for:

Prelude - I'm thinking I will let the organist play a compilation of Disney songs. This is the easy route, otherwise I need to come up with a few songs to play, but I won't actually be around to hear any of them so does it really matter?
Parent/Grandparent Processional - I'm leaving this decision in my mom's hands. She has a couple songs picked out, but as long as she is happy then I am happy.
Groom/Groomsmen Processional - I'm leaning towards Yellowcard's Three Flights Up. I feel funny using modern songs with words during the ceremony so I've been hunting for instrumental-only versions of songs that mean something to us, but I haven't had much luck. I found this about a year ago and fell in love.
Bridesmaid Processional - I'm 95% sure that we're going to use the Vitamin String Quartet version of Taylor Swift's Love Story. It's fun and playful, it's an instrumental version of a song I love, and I get teary when I listen to it. Good sign, right?
Bride's Processional - Canon in D Major on the organ. I don't want any traditional "here comes the bride" music - but at the same time I want something that really screams "here comes the bride!" Does that make sense??
Unity Candle - For The Beauty of the Earth on the organ. This song is in my favorite movie of all time, Little Women. It's during the scene where Meg gets married and I've loved it since I was a little girl. It sticks with my theme of non-word songs during the ceremony and I just think it's beautiful.
Recessional - here is where I have some fun! I want an upbeat, happy song to leave the chapel as husband and wife. I thought about using Welcome by Phil Collins (it's in the Disney movie Brother Bear). I thought about using What I Like About You by The Romantics, Beautiful Day by Lee DeWyze, Forever by Chris Brown, This Will Be an Everlasting Love by Natalie Cole, and so many others. But, I was watching a commercial for the Disney movie Enchanted over the weekend and was inspired by Carrie Underwood's Ever Ever After. It is perfect because our theme is Happily Ever After! I don't care how cheesy it is, I love it.

Moving onto the reception...
Entrance into reception - I'm thinking about Michael Franti's Say Hey I Love You. It's fun and upbeat and the lyrics are pretty cute. Also in the running are Beautiful Day and Forever, leftover from the Recessional slot. Any other ideas??
First Dance - AHHHH! I can't find one to save my life. We were going to use Lifehouse. We both love them. I thought about You Can Shake the Mountains, but I am having some doubts. John wants You and Me, but I think that is such an overplayed song that I'd feel like a teenybopper using it. Everything is too long. I like this one song that came out on Country radio last spring - Whatever It Is by Zac Brown Band. I really love it. When I first heard it I immediately thought it would be a great first dance song. John is okay with it and prefers it over some of my more girly suggestions. My problem here is that I want us both to LOVE the song we pick. Help??
Cake Cutting - Sugar Sugar by the Archies. Done deal! From another favorite movie of mine, Now and Then, and I think it's is perfect for the amount of sugar we will be ingesting ;)
The Father/Daughter song is in my dad's hands, and Mother/Son is in John's mom's hands. I'm working on finding a song for our last dance and I've been toying with Taylor Swift's Today Was a Fairytale just because, well, I'm hoping that the day IS a fairytale!

I know some of them probably seem cheesy, but I'm also kind of a cheesy person. I cry during ASPCA & Disney commercials and I love chic lit. Some of my favorite music is either inappropriate for the ceremony or too country for John. I'd love any suggestions I can get!

3 comments:

Breathe Gently said...

It's your wedding day - you're ALLOWED to be cheesy!

I love your music so far. It's all meaningful to you guys & your family, and that's the most important part.

I can't wait to go cake tasting. I'm right there with John on that one. :D

Fuzzy Cert said...

So cute! I love all your song choices! I listened to the Enchanted soundtrack the other day. It's adorable.
Are you still thinking you'll do the internet broadcast thing???

Emilie said...

Yes, I definitely want to do the broadcast!