Sunday, June 19, 2011

my hero




It's Father's Day, which means everyone on Facebook is posting about how great their dads are, and making photos of their dads their profile pictures.

Not going to lie, I did it too.

But the thing is -- my dad is different. He really is the best father anyone could ask for. He was a stay-at-home dad when we were little and although money was sometimes tight living on one income, I would not trade it for anything.

He is the most hardworking person I know. He's overcome adversity more times than you can imagine. Without going into a lot of detail, he had a pretty rough childhood at times, and a lot of people would use that as an excuse to live the same way as an adult. Not my dad. He has always tried to be the best father, husband, and provider he could be. And you know what? He surpassed all of that. He's more than anyone could ever ask for.


I have the best memories of my childhood thanks to my dad. When we had snow days he would build us igloos and forts in the snow - complete with snow sofas and snow chairs and tunnels that wound through the backyard. When we had a rainy summer day, he made us Native American costumes out of left over paper grocery bags. Every day after lunch we would walk up to the market to get Junior Mints and to stop at the library to return our borrowed books.

He's also know as Mr. Fix It and can repair any house problem you can think of. He built our entire family room addition himself when I was ten years old. He's already helped John and me with countless little projects in our home since we bought it three months ago.

My dad, in one word, is amazing. I would not be the person I am today if it weren't for his support, love and constant encouragement. Happy Father's day, Dad. You are the best!

No comments: