Thursday, December 11, 2008

the broken clock is a comfort

If you haven't seen the music video for Black Balloon, I suggest you go youtube it, because Johnny Rzenik is absolutely mouth-watering in it. And it's one of the best songs of all time. In fact, I have been working on a top 20 list for the last year, of my favorite songs (mostly when I am procrastinating and do not want to do any school work - it's a fabulous distraction, you should try it sometime) and Black Balloon is on my list. Because it is finals, and I am procrastinating like never before, I finished my list today. It is a supercalafragalisticexpialadocious list, if I do say so myself.

  1. Broken - Lifehouse. Clearly, they are my favorite band. Clearly, it wouldn't be fair for me to put all of their songs on my top 20 list, but I can't help but to put four and a half (one is a cover) of theirs up because they are so good. Sometimes I am convinced that Jason Wade writes these songs specifically for me, that's how close to home they feel. Watch the video and just look at his face! He is so passionate about his music. The lyrics, when you first hear them or read them, seem depressing, but I think they are inspiring - just hold on, and everything will work out in the end. Everyone has felt like their world is falling apart and for me, this song really hit home this past May. I held onto it like a lifeline, and it got a little bit easier everyday to deal with what was going on. I'm falling apart, I'm barely breathing with a broken heart that's still beating; in the pain there is healing, in your name I find meaning, so I'm holding on, I'm still holding, I'm barely holding onto you. I felt like my life was spinning out of control at 90 miles per hour, and this song gave me stability, it gave me something to hold onto when nothing else was going the way I wanted it to. After everything that happened, I'm still here, I'm still breathing, and even though there are days when it stops me in my tracks and I feel like I can't go forward, I find a way to.

  2. Everything - Lifehouse. Click the link, if you know what's good for you. It's my faaaavorite live performance of the song; it gives me chills every time, no fail. It's an old performance, in Amsterdam, but my god it is the most genius six and a half minutes you will ever lay eyes (and ears) on. If you are impatient, you can fast forward to 4 minutes and 21 seconds, when it gets REALLY good. This is another amazing version, it's from their DVD. This is the most amazing song ever written, hands down, in the history of ever and ever. It is even better when you see it performed live. It's such a raw song, it holds nothing back.

  3. Iris - Goo Goo Dolls. I have never met someone who dislikes this song. It was overplayed on the radio, but if you really listen to the lyrics, you will see that it is also a genius song. "You can't fight the tears that ain't coming or the moment of truth in your lies; when everything feels like the movies you bleed just to know you're alive"...it hardly gets more genius than that. Hardly.

  4. World Spins Madly On - The Weepies. Clearly, I love this song enough to name my blog after it. My favorite part? "The whole world is moving and I am standing still." It must have been written for me, because I swear I feel like that every day of my life.

  5. Let it Be - The Beatles. Classic, timeless, and again, genius. When I'm having a bad day, this always cheers me up.

  6. Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright. Just listen to this, you'll know why it's so great.

  7. Beast of Burden - Rolling Stones or Lifehouse. I love the original, but I obviously love Lifehouse's cover. The video I linked is seriously amazing, I freaking love that man. It's obvious when he sings that he gets really into it, which makes the music that much better.

  8. Fast Car - Tracy Chapman. This song makes me sad. I think most people can relate to it at some point or another; you try so hard at something and no matter what you do it just doesn't work out. It's such a raw and honest song, anyone who has ever felt like they don't belong can relate to it somewhat.

  9. Black Balloon - Goo Goo Dolls. Johnny Rzenik wrote this song for a friend of his who was a heroin addict, but it's pretty universal, I think. It's about overcoming, beating, and moving past something that got the best of you. I love the last line, "I'll become what you became to me." GENIUS!

  10. Anna Begins - Counting Crows. I LOVE this acoustic version. It's such an emotional song and I give a TON of credit to people who can sing this and sing it well. "She can't stop shaking and I can't stop touching her and this time when kindness falls like rain it washes her away and Anna begins to change her mind, and these seconds where I'm shaking leave me shuddering for days, she says, I'm not ready for this sort of thing." I can't even begin to attempt to explain this song; its just one of those songs you have to get all on your own.

  11. Crush - DMB. Its the ultimate love song, like, if a guy sang that to me I'd be sold. Who wouldn't want to hear all that?

  12. Simon - Lifehouse. I know, I know. I can't help it, they are just that good. If you are ever questioning yourself, or your purpose, or why things happen to you, listen to this song. When you feel alone, betrayed, or broken, this song lets you know you're not alone. You're not the only one. Jason wrote this when he was 17 (I think - either 15 or 17) about a friend who was bullied - listen to these lyrics and let me know if you know anyone that young that could write something so profound. "Refuse to feel anything at all, refuse to slip, refuse to fall. You canan't be weak, can't stand still, watch your back cause no one will. You don't know why they had to go this far; traded your worth for the scars, for your only company. Don't believe the lies that they have told to you, not one word was true, you're alright." This is my favorite version; again it is from Amsterdam a while ago. But amazing.

  13. Name - Goo Goo Dolls. This is a classic Goo's song, if not the most classic. I especially like the 'scars are souvenirs you never lose' part, because I have one of those. Ok, so that wasn't entirely serious, obviously he means emotional scars, but everyone has those. So it works. I love the guitar in this, it's so catchy and so perfect.

  14. Georgia - Hanson. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the piano in this; it makes me want to learn piano even more than I did before I found this song. I like the actual music in this song more than the lyrics; I think Hanson is more talented with creating a melody than they are with writing lyrics. I know a lot of people don't like them, but you cannot deny that they are incredible musicians, and that is why I love them so much.

  15. Come on Get Higher - Matt Nathanson. SUCH a good song. My sister thinks it's dirty, but it's not. You have to really listen to it to understand that its not dirty. It's about loving someone, real love, and it reminds me of the beginning of a relationship when everything is new and exciting. It's even better live =)

  16. In Your Eyes - Peter Gabriel. I have loved this song for a long time. It's a classic, and it's brilliantly written.

  17. Brick - Ben Folds. "Can't you see it's not me you're dying for"...really? Profound much? Honestly. I love this song.

  18. Storm - Lifehouse. Yes, another. This is an OLD song, from before there was Lifehouse. It's from back when they were Blyss, but they redid this song for the most recent record. I've loved this song since the first time I heard it many years ago, and it never gets old. I love when an artist can sing with so few instruments, I think that shows the true caliber of his talent. "And I will get lost into your eyes, I know everything will be alright." Again, hit pretty close to home earlier this year. It always hits close to home because again, I'm convinced he writes his song specifically for me.

  19. Far Away - Nickelback. I dont really have an emotional attachment to this song, I just really like it a lot. It's not a typical Nickelback song, but I think there is something really awesome when a band like Nickelback can sing a ballad. It kind of just makes me melt a little bit.

  20. One - U2. This doesn't really need explaining. Everyone knows it is a brilliant song


So, there we have it. I'm sure the list will change, because I'm always discovering amazing music, but I think most of these songs have remained my favorites for several years. I couldn't live without music, I live for live shows, and I have SO MANY bands that I love, so many songs that I can't live without, and I absolutely love acoustic versions of songs. I couldn't even fit any Nirvana or Pearl Jam or Seether or Foo Fighters or Everly or Emerson Hart on my list. There is just way too much good music in this world =)

3 comments:

aroy said...

I am having some VERY serious withdrawal symptoms right now, and all I want to do is lay in bed with my headphones and listen to them.
Except, hearing Jason's voice lately only makes me think of him in terms of being friends with...well, you know...and it sounds different. Closer, in a way, like a friend of a friend, but further also, like some of the magic has gone out of it.
Also just makes me think.

It will probably get back to normal in time. I'm not exactly sure what I'll do if it doesn't.


Sorry to be a downer. I just know you'll get it.

aroy said...

Oh! Also, 'Come on Get Higher' is TOTALLY dirty. Yes, it's about love. Blah blah blah. BUT:

"...I see angels and devils and God when you COME...on, hold on, hold on hold on HOLD ON....OOOooooh"

I rest my case.

feetfloorgo said...

That was a pretty good list, and I like a lot of those songs! I think a good few of those would be on my top 20 too. But some I've never heard, so I shall look in to rectifying that.