Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

I find it sort of strange, that every year people seem to go on like normal on 9/11. Especially here in the north, where we could see the smoke in parts of Connecticut, where our hospitals prepared for victims of the attacks, where it literally hit closer to home. All we do is a measly moment of silence, and that is supposed to sufficiently commemorate and remember the attacks?

My mom's best friend, her boyfriend was a firefighter in NYC in 2001. He is the only surviving member of his company. I wonder how he feels when he drives down the street and sees that most flags are not at half-mast, or when he sees that there are no vigils, no ceremonies, nothing. Maybe most people did feel that sting every time they wrote the date today, like I did, but no one acts like it.

I know that in fifty years, this wont be as big of a deal as it should be right now. But we are still at war with the country that did this to us - and we all act like today isn't a significant date. My family members are still over in the Middle East risking their lives to defend this country. Whatever your stance on the war - the troops should be supported no matter what. The troops don't say "Well, I don't really support this war so I'm going to sit this tour out." I'm posting the link to my brothers tribute video for 9/11, because I feel like I should do something to remember the victims and families and businesses and churches and schools and strangers who were affected by 9/11, and the troops who are overseas fighting for our country right now.

9/11 Tribute

No comments: