Sunday, September 14, 2008

NYC recap!

Home from the city! It was such a great time, Alynda and Kirby are the NICEST people ever and I am very sad that we live so far away from each other. Seriously, why are all of my friends at least an hour away? It makes me feel very anti-social.

Anyway, J and I got to Union Station in Hartford around 6:30 in the morning, and stuffed 16 dollar bills into a box in the parking lot that was supposedly going to pay for us to park there all day. Very sketchy, we were wondering all day if the car would actually be there when we got back! We met A in the station, got our coffee and slept for two hours on the train ride. We got to NYC around 10, and walked around Penn Station for a while trying to find a bathroom because we were both freaked out by the one on the train. We got outside and went to Macy's to meet Alynda and Kirby. They were running a little late, so we went through Macy's for a while and found hundreds of ties in one room - seriously, in every color and texture. What would guys need that many ties for?!

Around 10:30 we met them at Macy's, and from there we walked (a lot) and nearly got sprayed at by a sidewalk-washer, saw lots (LOTS) of pigeons, bargain-shopped in souvenir stores and talked about all of our pets, toured each floor of the World of Disney, and searched for lunch that wouldn't cost $20 for a sandwich. Which ended up with us eating at McDonald's and it STILL cost us like twice what it would have at home. J felt better after eating and perked up, poor thing was dragged through stores all morning and half the afternoon, but he's a trooper and told me on the way home that it was quite as horrible as he thought it would be. (But was sure to still make it clear that a day of shopping in NYC wasn't his idea of a great day, haha). We did some more shopping, and had to leave Aly and Kirby outside of a shop on Broadway, so we took lots of pictures and said goodbye until the next roadtrip.

When they had to leave, Kirby generously dontated her map of NYC to ensure we wouldn't get lost. Sure enough, A and I screwed up reading the map about 56 times, so J was appointed the job of Official Map Reader. We started to walk toward the Natural Museum of History, and stopped along the way at a Starbucks to make a game plan and to recharge with some coffee and Amanda's super cool smoothie. When we finally got to the museum, we made it through one exhibit of North American Mammals and then spent an hour in the gift shop looking at globes and reading books about NYC. From there, we stopped to get dinner at Uno's and then headed to the subway to get back to Penn Station. We just barely missed the rain, it started coming down right as we got to the station. We were an hour early, so we hit up some sketchy souvenir shops and Amanda and I got ice cream. Right before we boarded the train I decided to go to the bathroom because I knew that ten minutes into the ride home I'd have to go, and inside the bathroom at the train station there were signs everywhere saying "please do not bathe in the sinks" and "please do not engage in sex inside the bathroom stalls." That thoroughly creeped me out so I booked it out of there and waited for the train.

We got home around 11, and luckily our car was still in the lot across from Union Station. A and I said goodbye, which was sad because we dont have another adventure planned right now. I'm sure one will come up though, and if not we will create one for over Christmas break!

I was so exhausted this morning though, and felt like I had 100 bricks on top of me this morning (or afternoon, I should say, since J and I rolled out of bed around 1pm) and it literally hurt to move for about an hour. We kept it low key today, all we did was lay around, watch tv, and play with Milo, who STILL has fleas! Next weekend's goal: to get rid of them for good!

I will post pictures soon!

No comments: