Thursday, October 16, 2008

today, i am a slug.

I got my period today. I hate it, for many reasons:



-I get insanely tired. I overslept through my alarm today and missed my first class. And I was just about falling asleep during the classes I actually made it to, and ended up leaving early.  If I could, I'd be able to sleep for 20 hours on the first day of my period, THAT'S how wiped out I get.
-I get cravings. For chocolate. For three days before I actually get my period. And especially bad on the first day. Case in point? Today when I brought Erin to work at the bakery, I caved into my overzealous estrogen levels and bought a giant homemade chocolate chunk cookie. Yes, they are as bad for you as they sound. But ohhh so tempting when chocolate is on your mind. Luckily, it was about as big as Cooper's frisbee and I couldn't eat more than two or three bites.
-I pee, a lot. Which gets to be quite annoying when I try to sleep, you know, because I get so tired.
-Cramps. I feel like someone stuck a knife into my uterus and is pretending to cut up a loaf of bread. OW.
-Migraine. Irritable. Over-sensitive. Sore boobs. Yep. All of this.
-Oh, and did I mention that I always gain about five pounds? Yep. For three days, I feel like I need to be wearing a bigger size jeans just to accommodate the extra five pounds of water taking up space in my body. Thanks, water weight.

This is why guys should be thankful for their testosterone.


My new plan is to start watching what I eat - not necessarily counting calories, because I don't want to go back down that road, but just plain eating healthier. And drinking more water. And making sure I do those dreaded pilates DVDs during the week. Why? Because I've read and heard that eating well and getting enough exercise and regularly drinking a lot of water helps minimize the pain of getting your period. For real. It's suppose to make cramps better, irritability better, all of it. I just feel like a giant chocolate chip cookie eating, extra five pounds, overtired slug today. And if I can NOT feel like that next month, well that'd be just awesome.

No comments: